Conditioning is a great way to replenish moisture and protect from environmental stresses. But how often should you use conditioner? We've got this and more.
What Is Hair Conditioner?
Conditioner is a styling product that gives your hair a soft, smooth, manageable, and healthy look. It works by coating the hair strands to help reduce friction during combing, which in turn helps reduce hair breakage. It is also enriched with ingredients that help nourish your hair and scalp. Some of the ingredients in conditioner include fatty alcohols, humectants, emollients, polymers, and silicone.
Conditioner works by penetrating the hair strands to replace the natural oils lost during the shampooing process. It also coats the hair to help prevent tangling, breakage, and dryness.
It is important to use conditioner on your hair after shampooing because it helps seal the cuticle, which gives your hair that shiny look and soft texture. It also helps protect your hair from the drying effects of the blow-dryer.
There are many different types of conditioners. The following are some of the types of conditioners that are available:
- Moisturizing — these are generally lightweight hair conditioners that are great for daily use. They are typically used to treat damaged hair and split ends.
- Deep Conditioners — these are usually heavier than moisturizing conditioners. They are very effective in treating damaged hair and split ends.
- Protein Conditioners — these are used to treat damaged and brittle hair.
- Split End Conditioners — these types of conditioners are used to treat damaged hair and split ends. However, it's essential to know that you can't fix split ends, only cut them off.
- Detangling — these are good for those who easily get their hair tangled and for those who have long and curly hair.
How Do You Use Hair Conditioner?
Conditioning is best used after you shampoo. If you have dry, damaged hair, it is best to apply conditioner to your hair after you shampoo, and then leave it in for a few minutes to allow the conditioner to penetrate your hair.
To use conditioner, you apply it to the ends of your hair after shampooing. It is best to use it when your hair is still wet. You also want to make sure that your hair is thoroughly saturated with conditioner. You can apply it with your hands or use a wide-tooth comb to distribute it evenly throughout your hair.
Most conditioners are meant to be washed out in the shower. Still, it's best to leave it in your hair for a few minutes and then wash it out, unless you're using a leave-in.
How Often Should You Use Hair Conditioner?
How often you use conditioner depends on your hair.
Fine, Brittle Hair: It is best to use conditioner every time you shampoo.
Normal Hair: You can use conditioner every time you shampoo.
Oily, Thick Hair: It is best to use conditioner once every two to three times you shampoo.
Dry, Damaged Hair: You should use a deep conditioner once every two to three times you shampoo.
Conditioning your hair is important for protecting your hair. It helps reduce the drying effects of the blow-dryer, prevent tangling and breakage, and keep your hair healthy and soft. However, it's important to know that conditioner can't fix split ends. In general, you should condition your hair each time you shampoo it. But don't over-shampoo your hair, as it takes away its natural oils.